In today’s Suite Guide, we will focus on NetSuite data extraction. ScaleNorth will provide a clear step-by-step guide on how to extract data from NetSuite.
Step-by-Step Guide to NetSuite Data Extraction
NetSuite provides an export function at Setup > Import/Export > Export Tasks > Full CSV Export.
The Full CSV Export option in NetSuite does not currently export all data types as CSV files, however, this menu option can export the following data types:
- Accounting Lists
- Expense Categories
- Memorized Transactions
- Other Names
- Saved Reports (that you own)
- Ship Items
- Transaction Detail Report
If this export functionality does not meet your needs, you can use a combination of the following options to extract detailed data from NetSuite:
- Exporting saved search results to CSV files.
- Exporting report results as CSV files.
- Writing a SOAP web services program to query record data.
- Using SuiteAnalytics Connect to access NetSuite data through an ODBC, JDBC, or ADO.NET driver and an external application such as Microsoft Excel or Crystal Reports. Note that ODBC access is an additional service with an associated fee.
You can use the detailed records that you obtain from these approaches to create spreadsheets of relevant information. All these approaches can preserve the relational aspects of data, as long as you export the Internal ID with each data row.
Best Practices for Financial Data Extraction
Reports may be more useful for the extraction of transaction information than saved searches, because they provide easier matching of totals.
- A possible organizing mechanism is to aggregate purchase transactions in one spreadsheet and sales transactions in another.
- The Transaction Detail report can be customized to be filtered by transaction type and to include relevant columns such as transaction number and memo, before export.
- In some cases, it may be necessary to set date range filters to limit report run time and run multiple versions of the same report to extract data from multiple date ranges.
Best Practices for CRM Data Extraction
Saved searches can be used to extract CRM data from NetSuite.
- Saved searches are organized by record type, such as contact, customer, and vendor; and you should organize extracted information by record type as well.
- Notes field data on entity records (such as customers and vendors) can be extracted through a separate type of search, either System Note or User Note. In some cases, you may need to run separate searches and combine their data into an aggregated spreadsheet. In other cases, you can access notes data through a search for Contacts, Customers, or Vendors.
As a highly accredited NetSuite Solution Provider, ScaleNorth is well positioned to help you with the full scope of your NetSuite customization needs. If you require more NetSuite assistance, contact ScaleNorth today.
About the Author
Miguel Ursabia is a seasoned Senior NetSuite Implementation Consultant with nearly eight years of experience. With a degree in Accounting, Miguel brings his work a unique blend of financial proficiency and technological expertise.